So your kids are already bored and looking for something to do today? No problem! I’ve collected a dozen virtual field trips for you to check out. Everything on this list is a gem. Seriously. I visited all of these sites and learned something interesting on each one.
- Head over to Cincinnati Home Safari’s Facebook page for a daily live stream of one of their animals and an activity.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art offers videos and activities on their MetKids page, where children can explore the museum and create their own works of art.
- Discovery Education has field trips on a wide variety of topics, which are continuously changing. As of this writing, their upcoming trips include A Visit to the Tundra, USC Shoah Foundation to hear witness testimony of the Holocaust, and FutureU to meet STEM professionals at Johnson Space Center.
- View a panoramic walking tour of the Great Wall of China from your couch!
- Explore some of Galileo’s 1000 instruments and more at the Museo Galileo.
- Yellowstone National Park has tours of Fort Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris Geiser Basin, and more.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium has tons of live cams, including sharks, otters, penguins, and jellyfish.
- Some great live cams over at the San Diego Zoo, including pandas, polar bears, and giraffes.
- Walk around the battlefields of Gettysburg.
- Explore Ellis Island and follow the path of a young turn of the century immigrant.
- The Smithsonian offers tours of its current, permanent, and past collections, as well as some behind the scenes stuff (aka specimens), its castle, and the Hirshhorn.
- Tour Le Louvre, including the Egyptian Antiquities AND the remains of its original moat and piers.
Happy exploring! PS: Even though I’ve been to the Louvre in person, I had no idea until I wrote this post that the Louvre was originally a fortress built in 1190 to protect Paris! There is so much in this world to learn – get started today!
More in our 14 Day Edit series:
Looking for more activities to do from home? Check out 10 fun skills you can teach yourself with YouTube!
Need something to listen to? Here are some of my favorite podcasts for the entire family.
Want something to watch? Here are some very bingeworthy shows to stream.