What is the Revolution Craft Style Project?
Revolution Craft Style is a project I came up with as a way to create social change through craft. I envision it as a way to both raise money for causes important to me as well as encourage more people to really embrace knitting, crocheting, and other hand crafts. My Etsy shop will sell knitting and crocheting related items with a portion of the profits being donated to charity. My goal for the project is to eventually have a collective of other hand craft designers who also believe in donating a portion of their profits to support their favorite causes.
Where did the name Revolution Craft Style come from?
How did this start?
Two years ago, I created a printable gift tag for handknits and offered it as a free download here. Within days the tag had made its way to Pinterest and Reddit and went viral. I decided to do a crochet version of the tag, and a while later, a handspun version. Every few months, the tags go viral again as people gift their handmade items for different holidays. Now that the number of page views for the tags is over 100,000, I realized that I should turn the tags into a way to generate money for charity.
In addition to the potential for raising money to causes I support, every time I see a spike in interest for the gift tags. I’m thrilled to know that people are not only enjoying my designs, but that they’re MAKING gifts.
What’s the big deal about making gifts?
There are a few reasons I really love a hand knitted gift:
- It’s easy to order something from Amazon or pick up something at Target, but to construct a garment/ blanket/ etc from yarn and two needles takes a lot of effort. You have to really WANT to finish the gift, because it takes so much time and work.
- It’s customized for the recipient. No limits on color or details to make something really personal.
- The item often becomes an heirloom. How many people would pass down a stroller blanket from generation to generation if it weren’t hand knitted by Aunt Mary?
- The look on the faces of both the recipient and the giver when the gift is opened. The handmade gifts are always held up to a room of oohs and ahhs at a shower or Christmas party, while the crafter beams with pride.
- The act of knitting not only results in an awesome and unique item, but several studies have shown the benefits to your health. Knitting can help ease anxiety, depression, stress, and chronic pain, as well as promote happiness and brain health.
- You know who did the work, and what the materials are made from. No sweatshops involved.
- Knitting/ crocheting/ sewing are great practical skills to know. Mend and make do! Save money on buying new clothes when you create garments or repair existing ones.
How will the charity part of this project work?
I have decided that instead of offering the original three gift tags as a free download, I am going to start offering them for $3 each, with 100% of the profits being donated to charity. Because the tags were originally offered for free, I didn’t feel right about keeping any money generated by them. If you’re not down with paying for the tags, I’ll have a link to Google Drive where you can still access them for free, but I really hope you’ll choose the charity version! There will also be new items added to the shop, and 20% of the profits from those new items will be donated to charity.
What charities will benefit from Revolution Craft Style?
I’m going for social change though craft and I’m excited to see what we can accomplish with Revolution Craft Style. I hope you’ll join me!